Pros of using Waterbourne paints include:
- Delivers better coverage in fewer coats due to its higher pigment content
- Reduced mil thickness when dry, which reduces paint pulls when bolting down other body components, such as side mirrors.
- Improved metallic lay-down on body surface.
- Reduced gassing out over time-once the basecoat is dry, it is final. Solvents release gas for several months after application, which can affect long-term paint finish.
- Harder to shoot as it requires a different spray gun and dryers.
- Flash time is critical-it takes longer to dry overall.
- Higher material cost-paints and ancillary products.
- Blending of painted panels is harder, requiring you to learn a new skill set.
- Not a task for home application-a spray booth is required because of slow dry times.